LDS Church Administration Building

The need for an administrative building larger than the small structure between the Beehive House and the Lion House became obvious as the Church began to expand. This building, just west of the Lion House, was constructed during the administration of President Joseph F. Smith (1901–18). Built in a Greek style with Ionic columns, this structure of granite was completed in 1917. Today it houses the offices of the First Presidency, the Council of the Twelve Apostles, and other General Authorities.

The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles often have their official photographs taken in the Onyx Room of the Administration Building.

Additional Media

Gardens and small outbuildings belonging to Brigham Young once stood on the site of the Administration Building. Photo courtesy of Kathie and W. Jeffrey Marsh

Lowering the cornerstone on the Church Administration Building. Utah State Historical Society

View of the Administration Building under construction Utah State Historical Society

Quorum of the Twelve © by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.