The Relief Society Building

The relief society building is located between the Church Office Building and the Salt Lake Temple. Dedicated in 1956, it was built using funds donated by Latter-day Saint women which were then matched by the Church.



This building houses the general offices for three auxiliary organizations of the Church: the Relief Society, for adult women eighteen years and older; Young Women, for girls ages twelve to seventeen; and the Primary, for children under eighteen months to eleven years.

The Prophet Joseph Smith organized the Relief Society, the largest and oldest women’s organization in the world, in 1842. Of the organization, the Prophet said: “This Society shall rejoice, and knowledge and intelligence shall flow down from this time henceforth; this is the beginning of better days to the poor and needy, who shall be made to rejoice and pour forth blessings on your heads.”

Today the Relief Society, directed from this building, continues to follow its motto, “Charity Never Faileth,” as it serves the needy and poor of the world with relief efforts and through the education and training of women and children everywhere.

Additional Media

The Relief Society logo. © by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.

The interior of the Relief Society Building is beautifully appointed and presents a restful atmosphere for meetings and visitors. David M. Whitchurch.

Eliza R. Snow (sitting, right) served as general president of the Relief Society from 1866 to 1887. Elizabeth Ann Whitney (sitting, left) served as second counselor to Sister Snow from 1880 to 1882. Emmeline B. Wells (standing) later served as fifth general president of the Relief Society from 1910 to 1921. Daughters of Utah Pioneers.

Belle S. Spafford, general president of the Relief Society, breaks ground for the Relief Society Building. Note President David O. McKay, left, and his counselors in the First Presidency, Stephen L. Richards and J. Reuben Clark Jr., right. © by Intellectual Reserve, Inc.