See the Sites – Videos
Videos are posted here and on YouTube. Check here regularly to stay up to date!
Discover how events in America prepared the world for the Restoration of the Gospel.
An introduction to the areas New York, New England, and Pennsylvania.
Alvin Smith, the Prophet Joseph Smith’s oldest brother died unexpectedly while building a nice frame home for his parents and family and was buried in the Jonathan Swift Memorial Cemetery in Palmyra, New York.
Egbert Bratt Grandin was a 23-year old printer in downtown Palmyra, New York contracted to print 5,000 copies of the Book of Mormon for $3,000.
Conversion and Early Life
This family provided needed support and resources to assist in the translation of the Book of Mormon and, notwithstanding persecution and tribulation, remained faithful to the message of the Restoration to the end of their lives.
The site of the Peter Whitmer, Sr. home and farm is hallowed by the Latter-day Saints.
Old South Bainbridge, New York is the location of the home of Josiah Stowell as well as where Joseph and Emma Smith were married.
Swathed in the rustic smells of old pine wood, take a journey through time in the beautiful Smith Family Log Home.
In many ways, this frame home is a memorial and a reminder of the appreciation, love, and admiration that Alvin Smith, Joseph and Lucy Mack’s eldest son, had for his father and his mother.
Tomlinson Inn came to represent missionary work when Samuel Smith stopped here and gave a copy of the Book of Mormon Phineas Young.
Vienna Road represents everything that is associated with the religious revivals that influenced Joseph Smith to seek religion.
Salt Lake City
Abravanel hall (known prior to 1993 as symphony hall) is situated on property originally owned by President Wilford Woodruff.
The Amussen Jewelry Store was preserved on the Key Bank Building and removed before the building was destroyed in 2007.
The beehive house was the official residence and office of President Brigham Young.
This is the gravesite of Brigham Young, Eliza R. Snow, and other members of the Young family.
Honored for his roles as pioneer, colonizer, governor, and religious leader, Brigham Young (1801–77) was best known as simply “Brother Brigham.”
Brigham Young was a straight talking, no-nonsense pioneer prophet who was either beloved or berated, but never ignored in his day.
Charles R. Savage (1832–1909) was born in Southampton, England. When he was nearly fifteen, Charles received his first introduction to the Church and was baptized soon afterward.
This landscaped acre in downtown salt lake city sat north of Brigham Young’s farm.
Filling the entire block immediately north of temple square is one of the largest religious auditoriums in the world, a facility known simply as the Conference Center.
This unique building was moved to the Capitol Hill area in 1962 from its original location at 120 East 100 South.
The nineteen-story gateway tower west is situated on the southwest corner of Main Street and South Temple Street where Salt Lake City’s original Council House once stood.
The Desert News is the oldest newspaper west of the Mississippi. The Church first became involved in the newspaper business in June 1832, when W. W. Phelps published the Evening and Morning Star in Independence, Missouri.
This log cabin is one of only two existing pioneer homes built in 1847; the other is Levi E. Riter’s log house located in This Is the Place Heritage Park.
An interesting arch was erected in 1859 to mark the entrance to President Brigham Young’s property.
Brigham Young’s wife operated a school by the Beehive House
Just outside the DUP Museum in Salt Lake, there is a statue that honors Zions poetess, Eliza R. Snow. Eliza was born at Becket, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, January 21, 1804, and was baptized at Kirtland, Ohio, April 5, 1835.
See how this peak that rises over North Salt Lake foretold a gathering of saints.
Wilford Woodruff was the first man to ascend ensign peak on July the 26th of 1847. Brigham Young was the last man to reach the top.
The LDS Family History Library serves as the flagship for over four thousand satellite family history centers in more than eighty-eight countries.
Mormon Pioneers first entered the Salt Lake Valley on July 22nd, 1847.
Across the street from the Lion House is the site of the Gardo House, another famous home belonging to Brigham Young.
Godbe’s exchange building was located on the south east corner of First South and Main Streets.
The Joseph and Serepta Heywood homesite is located approximately at the midblock area between State and Main streets on the north wall of the Conference Center.
In the early pioneer era, the site of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building was occupied by the Deseret News press buildings, the Tithing Offices, the General Bishops’ Storehouse, and stockyards.
The original Salt Lake Library stood here, until it became the Hansen Planetarium (which has also moved).
The Kearns Building was named after a former U.S. senator from Utah named Thomas Kearns.
A little over a week after arriving in the Salt Lake Valley, the Church leaders in the pioneer company selected inheritances surrounding the Temple Block.
The need for an administrative building larger than the small structure between the Beehive House and the Lion House became obvious as the Church began to expand.
The majestic church office building is Salt Lake City’s tallest structure (twenty-eight floors above ground, three levels below).
The Mormons were unique among the many pioneers that settled the Western United States. They did not journey seeking gold or wealth; they were seeking religious freedom.
The Lion House was a home of President Brigham Young, who was often referred to as the Lion of the Lord. This two-story, multi gabled home was built between 1855 and 1856 as an additional residence for President Young and his large family.
Alfred McCune had the mansion built for his wife Elizabeth in 1901
The marker identifies the site from which Salt Lake City began.
This monument was dedicated in 1927 in honor of the Mormon Battalion
This is the home of the world renowned Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Organ. It is known for its dome shape and exceptional acoustic qualities, making it one of the most remarkable buildings in the world.
Known as the Church’s official choir, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is named for its home in the historic Tabernacle on Temple Square.
The organ in the Salt Lake Tabernacle is one of the most famous musical instruments ever made.
Shortly after Brigham Young had arrived in the Salt Lake Valley, he encouraged the Saints to bring “all kinds of mathematical and philosophical instruments, together with all rare specimens…
In 1874 Orson Pratt was appointed historian and general Church recorder, a position he held until the time of his death.
Built and maintained by the International Society, Daughters of Utah Pioneers (founded in 1901), this structure was built to preserve the history, artifacts, and landmarks of Utah pioneer ancestors.
The overland telegraph monument marks the site where the transcontinental telegraph lines met, stretching from the Pacific to the Atlantic oceans.
The pony express was created in an effort to find a faster method of communication across America.
The relief society building is located between the Church Office Building and the Salt Lake Temple.
Hallowed Ground, Sacred Journeys transports readers back to nineteenth-century Salt Lake City by painting a picture of the city during the pioneer era from 1847 to 1869, contrasting those bygone scenes with those of today.
Although hundreds of scattered settlements were colonized by the mormon pioneers, Salt Lake City rapidly developed into a large, thriving community.
The Salt Lake Temple is a six-spired granite edifice representing the inspiration and theological underpinnings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Across the street, east from the Deuel Cabin, just to the north of the west entrance to Temple Square, is an archway built into the lower part of the wall that surrounds Temple Square.
The Salt Lake Theatre, dedicated in 1862, saw a long and useful life. Drama and music made it the cultural hub of the city, promoting local talent as well as traveling shows and circuses.
The property upon which the salt palace was built was donated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
For seventy years, pioneers gathered here to shake off the hardships of frontier life with music, dancing, parties, theatricals, lectures, and good company.
On the southwest corner of temple square stands the assembly hall, begun by LDS pioneers in 1877 and dedicated January 8, 1882. It is a gothic-style building.
Just days after arriving in the Salt Lake valley, Brigham Young selected the site for the Salt Lake Temple.
The visitors’ centers at Temple Square are gateways to learn about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
On the southwest corner of the DUP, is a tribute marker to Thomas L. Kane, a friend of the saints.
The John Pack family owned a low adobe house, which they made available to church members for early social and educational events in Salt Lake City. From this humble beginning would grow the University of Utah.
The Civil War Monument was erected in 1961 to honor the Utah men who served in the Civil War by protecting precious mail and telegraph lines.
Wall Street received its name from a tall “mud” or primitive concrete wall that was once located in this area. Initially, the pioneers planned to construct a protective wall completely encircling the city.
This beautiful chapel, now the White Community Memorial Chapel, is a reconstruction of a nineteenth-century Church meetinghouse.
On the northwest corner, where the streets West Temple and North Temple intersect, was the house of William Clayton.
Preserved on main street is the original cast-iron façade of Zion’s Cooperative Mercantile Institution, sometimes claimed to be the first department store in America.