Newel K. Whitney Store Trading Room: The First Bishop’s Storehouse, Kirtland, Ohio



Abstract

In the early 1820’s, Newel K. Whitney settled at the Kirtland Flats, and originally built a small store, painted red, on the northwest corner of the town’s major intersection. He later built a larger store, which has been restored today. In Doctrine and Covenants 72, Newel K. Whitney was called as a Bishop, and the trading room in his store became a forerunner to the Bishops’ Storehouses, that provide commodities for the poor and needy as part of the welfare system in the Church today.


Video Transcript